12:55 AM
0

TVB "Green Leaf" Aspirations: Benz Hui, Lee Shing Cheung, Griselda Yeung, Charmaine Li
("green leaf" artists are those who usually play supporting roles or minor roles. They are frequently seen in series.)

The "Green Leaf" King - Benz Hui

Benz Hui has been serving TVB for 30 years and been in many many films over the years, but never tried to seek fame. This green leaf actor finally gains recognition at the TVB Anniversary Awards 2012 where he became one of the titleholders of "Outstanding Artist" award. He has been in 130 series and 70 films, creating countless classic characters, such as Chung Lok Hoi in the film Love Undercover, his catchphrases "Go! Go! Go!" and "My full name is Fong Chung Sir" had been a hot discussion topic among the viewers. After 40 years of being a green leaf actor, Benz finally gets a TVB award, but he does not think TVB treat the green leaf artists unfairly: "TVB treats me very well because they gave me so many TV series to shoot over the last many years. I earn enough money to survive and raise my family, that's satisfying enough for me!" Benz has also worked with many movie superstars, such as Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung. In 1988, he and Fat Gor were both the lead actors in the stage play Caught in the Net. Fat Gor was responsible for the HK stop, while Benz did the world tour performances. Today, Fat Gor is a superstar, but Benz has never thought of becoming a lead actor. "Never thought of the possibility, I don't have the looks either. When I go out on the streets and people can say my name, that's better than working for life and still nobody knows my name!"

Steady Fire - Lee Shing Cheung

Also the "Outstanding Artist" winner at the TVB Awards 2012, Lee Shing Cheung was known shortly after his debut for his role as the new immigrant "Hong Jai" in TVB's long-running sitcom Hong Kong 81 - Hong Kong 86 (a total of 1330 episodes over 6 years). Thereafter, he remained as a green leaf actor, whether if he had evil villain or just cameo roles, his performances were all precise. Lee has been in over a hundred series in the 30 years he's been with TVB and now serves as a instructor at the TVB Artistes Training class. He was surprised when he won the Outstanding Artist award, but when speaking of TVB concentrates more on the Siu Sangs and less on the green leaf artists, Lee did not deny: "Indeed, TVB does have less opportunities for us green leaf artists, those with more screen time are left for the Siu Sangs and FaDans." Although he doesn't get much attention, Lee still holds a ring of fire for acting: "You all might think I'm really old-fashioned to say that, but its the truth! I enjoy acting from the bottom of my heart." Lee frankly expressed he has already exceeded in age to be a lead actor: "Nowadays every series are big productions, the long filming hours will leave me no time to be with my family and the Netizens' comments can get so extreme, that's too much pressure. I think even if I had the chance, just forget it!"

New Power of Beautiful Legs - Griselda Yeung

There are many FaDans in the TV and film industries, even if an actress has the looks, it may still be difficult for them to climb up and be the female lead. Tavia Yeung's elder sister Griselda Yeung is an example. She entered TVB after participating in 2001's Miss Hong Kong contest and several years after her debut, she still hasn't had many opportunities to develop her career. It wasn't until her lawyer role in the current sitcom Come Home Love that caught Netizens' attention. She's often wearing short skirts showing 'Quali' and her beautiful long legs won praises from the audience. Griselda was very surprised, but she had never thought of becoming a first line FaDan like her sister Tavia, she said: "I want to take it step by step!" She also does not mind the public comparing her to her younger sister. "A long time ago, people would often compare us. Honestly, I don't mind. In a family, if there were two children, there will be one that is better at school and the other not as good! In fact, if calling me 'Tavia Yeung's sister' is easier for people to know who I am and that can get me more filming opportunities and endorsements, then that's really not a bad thing!"

9 Years in Industry, Raped 11 Times - Charmaine Li

Charmaine Li joined TVB in 2004 and has been acting for 9 years. Her debut series was Sunshine Heartbeat and this was the series she got the most screen time, but she was unable to make it to the front line. In her acting career, she's been 'raped' over 11 times and can claim the 'Queen of Getting Raped' title! She frankly expressed she does not mind shooting rape scenes and insists on doing the best: "The underclothing must be taken serious! In modern series, I have to wear a bra and in costume series, I have to have the ancient styled bras. Before shooting the scene, I have to discuss with my co-star and the director on how the scene will play out; I need to know what parts of my clothing will get teared, so I can cut it beforehand."


Other notable green leaf artists include Lau Kong, Joseph Lee, Al Wai, Felix Lok, Deno Cheung, Chan On Ling and Law Lok Lam.

Lau Kong has been in the industry for 36 years and participated in 182 series. His classics include Twins of Brother, Safe Guards, The Drive of Life and Best Selling Secrets. His aspiration is: "Just do your best on your own part, do well on your role and let viewers enjoy watching. Just by that, I already feel satisfied, it is not necessary to care about what others say!"

Joseph Lee has been in the industry for 37 years and participated in a 172 series. His classics include Moonlight Resonance, War of Genders and Three Kingdoms RPG. His aspiration is: "There is a new challenge every day for an artist. Sometimes I have to memorize a lot of lines, other times I have to do homework for my role. As an artist, we don't have fixed schedules, so its hard to spend time with family."

Felix Lok has been in the industry for 35 years and participated in 155 series. His classics include File of Justice, Dragon Love and Flying Fox Snowy Mountain. His aspiration is: "Actually there isn't much, just do well on your own part, that's enough."

Al Wai has been in the industry for 32 years and participated in 124 series. His classics include King of Snooker, Time Before Time and O.L Supreme. His aspiration is: "In every series, everyone has an important part. I won't calculate on those things, I would just enjoy my work and I won't find it difficult!"

Deno Cheung has been in the industry for 17 years and participated in 113 series. His classics include Dicey Business and Street Fighters. His aspiration is: "The acting industry, there is little space and the path to go out is small! In the past, there weren't many TV stations, so we all didn't have much to develop, but now there are more stations, its getting better!"

Chan On Ling has been in the industry for 33 years and participated in 143 series. Her classics include: Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes and Ghetto Justice 2. Her aspiration is: "Each serial is like a pyramid, some people are up at the top, some are on the very bottom, but every one of them are needed! Even if a role has less screen time, putting the effort in the performance is the most important!"

Law Lok Lam has been in the industry for 42 years and participated in a 166 series. His classics include The Greed of Man, State of Divinity, Yes Sir, Sorry Sir and Three Kingdoms RPG. His aspirations include: "I've in this industry for so long, there is no say on how difficult it is, the key is doing your own part. Just like now, I'm already 60 years old, it won't work if you tell me to be a young boy! So, enjoying the job is very important."

Source: Good News (by On.cc), TVBChannel
Translated by: aZnangel @ AsianEU Forum

0 nhận xét:

Post a Comment